in the School of Electrical Engineering
1- Electronic Engineering Group
In today's modern communities, many products and services are designed, manufactured, and utilized based on the performance of Electronics Engineers.
Modern electronics has made it possible to utilize complex systems in all fields of engineering and manufacturing, which in turn has revolutionized human kind's lifestyle. Computers are an obvious example of such systems in which all types of electronic devices, such as diodes and transistors integrated on a tiny IC, are used.
Computers are used for modeling and characterization of existing electronic devices, and also in the design and fabrication of new devices. Some new engineering fields such as Mechatronics, Bioelectronics, and Optoelectronics are the result of joint knowledge of electronics with mechanical engineering, medical sciences and optics, respectively.
The main purpose of offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in the field of electronics is to educate the students in design and implementation of modern electronic systems, both in theory and in practice. This education enables the electronic engineers to design and fabricate new industrial electronic systems as well as to perform analysis and diagnosis of the existing systems.
These systems often contain microelectronic devices and electronic circuits in discrete or integrated digital, analog, and mixed-signal forms.
Gaining necessary skills along with technical knowledge and innovative abilities provides job opportunities to graduates in electronics engineering.
Students studying electronics engineering can find job opportunities in:
- Training and/or research work in universities
- Research centers and communication and electronic industry.
- Radio and television stations as technical staff
2- Power Systems Engineering Group
The focus of this group is on generation, transmission, distribution, and conversion of electrical energy. Power system engineering and electrical machines are two classical subdivisions of this group. The former analyzes the study, design, utilization, control, and protection of power systems; while the second subdivision deals mostly with the design of electrical machines and their operational principles. Considering the increasing role of computers in all fields of engineering, today's power systems and devices are also analyzed and designed by means of computers. A new field of power systems engineering is power electronics, which deals with a combination of static electrical energy converters, electrical machines, and circuits.
Power system engineers:
- Design, supervise, and utilize systems and components related to generation, transmission, and conversion of electrical power in places such as power stations, factories, and electric posts.
- Carry out projects in generation, transmission, and conversion of electrical power.
3- Communication Engineering Group
The main aim of this group is to educate engineers who are experts in the field of analysis and design of communication systems including landlines, cellular phones, and satellite communication. Students majoring in this field study the techniques and issues related to the transmission of data and information. In addition, students need to study the devices and circuits used in building such systems. Taking into account the increasing importance of information and communication technology (ICT) and the diversity of Iranian communication industries, it is essential to have expertise in these fields.
Some of the major roles played by this group are:
- Carrying out educational and research chores in universities and other research centers.
- Working in communication and electronic industries, telecommunication, and the military.
- Working in radio and television stations, ministry of petroleum, ministry of transportation, and a range of other organizations.
4- Control Engineering Group
This group has the duty of educating students majoring in electrical engineering in the area of analysis and modeling of dynamic systems. It also acts to introduce students to the principles of designing and utilizing automated control systems and ways of improving them. In addition, due to the increasing role played by computers, their usage in simulating the dynamic systems is also emphasized.
Some of the main applications are:
- Carrying out projects in vast areas such as electrical and mechanical systems, aerospace, and biological field.
- Implementation of various complex systems in factories and industrial sites.
5- Bioelectrical Engineering Group:
This is a new and developing field in engineering, which gathers the expertise of engineers, physiologists, physicians, and other scientists to improve upon the devices and methods used in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. To this aim, the technology and science is employed in solving the mysteries of medicine and biology.
In recent years, the advancements in microelectronics, computers, nonlinear systems theory, mathematical modeling, and signal and image processing has opened new horizons in dealing with unknowns in medicine and biology. Pacemakers, non-invasive diagnosis methods, medical imaging, neural engineering, implantable neural hearing aids, and electrical neuromuscular activation systems are only a few examples of biomedical engineering products. The Bioelectrical engineering group in the school of electrical engineering started out in 1995, providing bioelectrical education and research at the M.Sc. level ever since.
Some of the potentials of this group are:
- Development of new medical devices in the diagnosis of diseases and rehabilitation
- Performing research according to the national policies
- Improving the nation's economical strength, and providing saving measures in foreign currency
- Development of diagnosis and treatment methods
- Performing basic research in related areas .