| Dr. Reza Berangi
Computer Engineering Department
Iran University of Science and Technology
Tel: +98-21 7322 5311
google scholar link
Last Updated: 6/21/2017
• Education and Qualifications
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Mobile Telecommunications, Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia, 1998.
- MS., Electronic Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran, 1989.
- BSc, Telecommunication Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran, 1985.
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Computer Engineering , Iran University of Science and Technology, Since Sept 2001
- Research fellow, Electrical Engineering Dept , Victoria university of Technology, Australia, 1997-2001
- Sessional tutor, Electrical Engineering Dept , Melbourne University, Australia, 1994-1997
- Sessional tutor, Electrical Engineering Dept , Victoria university of Technology, Australia, 1993-1997
- Research staff, Jahad Daneshgahi, Iran University of Science and Technology,1979-1992
• Executive Experiences
- Head of the computer center, Iran University of science and Technology, 2007-2008.
- Head of the Wireless networks lab (WINERLAB), Iran University of science and Technology.
- Head of the DSP development team, Advanced Processing Institute, 2004-2008.
- Member of the managing board, The Computer Society of Iran, 2006-2008.
- Head of the managing board, Pajohesh Sanat Company, 1990-1992.
• Teaching Experiences
- Doctoral trainees, completed: Dr. Elahe Hosseini (IUST 2017), Dr. Vahid EsmaeilZadeh (IUST 2015), Dr. OmidAbedi (IUST 2013), Dr. PeymanBabaei (IAU 2013), Dr. Hamideh Babaei (IAU 2013), Dr. MortezaRooozi (IAU 2013)
- Doctoral trainees, ongoing: Reza Moradi (IUST), Ali Kazemi Niaraki (IUST), Seyed Yousof Moradi (IUST), Mehdi Shariatzadeh (IUST), Mohammad Mehdi Hassani (IAU)
Courses taught for Undergraduates:
- Circuit Theory I and II (IUST)
- Electronics Circuits (IUST)
- Computer Interfaces (IUST)
- Advance Microprocessors (IUST)
- Electromagnetics (IUST)
Courses taught for Postgraduates:
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) (IUST)
- Wireless Systems and Networks (IUST)
- Cellular Systems and Networks (IUST)
- Computer Networks Management (IUST)
- Stochastics process (IUST)
- Electronics, Circuit theory, Industrial Control, Microwave, DSP (IUST, The University of Melbourne, Victoria University of Technology)
- Sessional tutor, Electrical Engineering Dept., The University of Melbourne, Australia, 1994-1997
- Sessional tutor, Electrical Engineering Dept., Victoria university of Technology, Australia, 1993-1997
- R. Berangi and M. Faulkner, Signal peak reduction circuit for non-constant envelope modulation signals, US Patent: US20050163248 .
• Selected Journal papers
ES. Hosseini, V. Esmaeelzadeh, R. Berangi and OB. Akan, "Delay sensitive and power-aware SMDP-based connection admission control mechanism in cognitive radio sensor networks," Computer Communications. 2017 Jul 1;106:pp. 1-10.
Es. Hosseini and R. Berangi "Optimal SMDP-Based Connection Admission Control Mechanism in Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks," ETRI Journal, 2017 Jun 1;39(3):pp. 345-52.
- ES. Hosseini, V. Esmaeelzadeh, R. Berangi and OB. Akann "A correlation‐based and spectrum‐aware admission control mechanism for multimedia streaming in cognitive radio sensor networks," International Journal of Communication Systems. 2017 Feb 1;30(3). (IF=1.1)
- V. Esmaeelzadeh, R. Berangi and E. S. Hosseini, Ozgur B. Akan, “Modeling of Rate-based Congestion Control Schemes in Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks”, Ad Hoc Networks Journal, 2016 Jan 31;36:pp. 177-88. (IF=2.605).
S. Vizvari, R. Berangi and K. Nematollahi "Authentication and authorizing scheme based on umts aka protocol for cognitive radio networks," Knowledge-Based Engineering and Innovation (KBEI), Vol. 2(5), Apr. 2016, pp. 335-344.
- V. Esmaeelzadeh and R. Berangi, “Stochastic Backlog and Delay Bounds of Generic Rate-based AIMD Congestion Control Scheme in Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks," Pervasive and Mobile Computing. 2015 Sep 30;22:pp. 46-57 (IF=1.69)
- V. Esmaeelzadeh and R. Berangi, “On the Optimality of Generic Rate-Based AIMD and AIAD Congestion Control Schemes in Cognitive Radio Sensor Networks," International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. 2015 Jul 1;11(7):pp. 614-643. (ISI, IF=0.923).
- V. Esmaeelzadeh, R. Berangi, S. M. Sebt, E. S. Hosseini and M. Parsinia, " CogNS: A Simulation Framework for Cognitive Radio Networks," Wireless Personal Communications, Volume 72, Issue 4, pp. 2849-2865, Oct. 2013 (ISI, IF=0.428).
- O. Abed and R.Berangi, "Mobility Assisted Spectrum Aware Routing Protocol for Cognitive Radio Ad Hoc Networks," Journal of Zhejiang University science C, Vol.14 No.11 P.873-886, 2013. (ISI, IF=0.308)
- O. Abed and R.Berangi, "Beaconless Dynamic Spectrum-Aware Routing Protocol for Cognitive Radio Ad Hoc Networks," Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Volume 39, Issue 5, pp. 3941-3952, 2014, (ISI, IF=0.234).
- S. Tafazzoli and R. Berangi, "Cognitive Radio Handover in Cellular Networks," International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI). 2014 Mar 1;11(2):pp. 44-55.
- O. Abed and R.Berangi, "Agile Spectrum Mobility Aided Spectrum-Aware Routing Protocol for Cognitive Radio Ad Hoc Networks," IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol. E95, pp. 3187-3196, 2012, (ISI, IF=0.34).
P. Babaei, M. Fathy and R. Berangi, "consistent vehicles tracking by using a cooperative distributed video survielance systems," International Research Journal of Applied and Basic Sciences. 2013;4(10):pp. 3658-3663.
- H. Babaei, M. Fathy, R. Berangi and M. Romoozi, "The impact of mobility models on the performance of P2P content discovery protocols over mobile ad hoc networks," Springer peer to peer Networking and Applications, Vol 10,, pp. 642–649, 2012, (ISI, IF=0.229).
- H. Malekpour and R. Berangi, "Cournot and Bertrand Game Models for A Simple Spectrum Sharing Framework in Cognitive Radio Networks," World of Computer Science and Information Technology Journal (WCSIT), Vol. 2, No. 6, 2012, pp. 197-202.
- H. Mahini and R. Berangi, "EASTFILE: An Energy Aware, Scalable, and TCAM based Fast IP Lookup Engine," International Journal of Computer Networks & Communications (IJCNC), Vol. 4, No.5, pp. 35-55, Sept 2012.
- S. M. MirhoseniNezhad, R. Berangi and Mahmood Fathy, "Common control channel saturation detection and enhancement in cognitive radio networks," International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Systems (IJDPS) , Vol.3, No.1, pp. 15-25, January 2012.
- A. Vashaee, M.Fathi, R.Berangi, "Human Recognition with Features Inspired from Biological Vision," International Journal of Advancements in Computing Technology, Volume 3, Number 2, pp. 43-48, March 2011.
- H. Mahini, R. Berangi and A. Mahini, “MLET: A Power Efficient Approach for TCAM Based, IP Lookup Engines in Internet Routers”, International Journal of computer Networks and communications, (IJCNC), Vol. 2, No 3, pp. 13-26, May 2010.
- N. Ahmadi and R. Berangi, "Symbol Based Modulation Classification using Combination of Fuzzy Clustering and Hierarchical Clustering,” Signal Processing – An International Journal (SPIJ), .Vol. 4, No. 2, pp 132-137, May 2010.
- S. Montazeri, M.Fathy, R.Berangi, “An adaptive fair-distributed scheduling algorithm to guarantee QoS for both VBR and CBR video traffics on IEEE 802.11e WLANs”, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 2008, Issue 3, pp. 1-12. (ISI, IF=0.81), January 2008.
- N. Ahmadi and R. Berangi, "QAM Modulation Classification using Constellation diagram based on TTSAS Algorithm and Template Matching", Majlesi Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol 2, No. 8, pp 19-26, 2008.
- R.Berangi, M. Babaee, and M.Soleimanipour, "A Cost Function for Joint Blind Equalization and Phase Recovery," International Journal of Information Technology, Volume 4 Number 3, pp. 163-167, 2007.
- R.Berangi, “Data acquisition design specifications for a smart antenna system,” IUST International journal of Engineering science, No3 Vol. 16, pp 9-13, 2005.
- R. Berangi and P. Leung, "Indirect Cochannel Interference Cancelling, "Wireless Personal Communications, Volume 19 , Issue 1, pp 37 – 55. (ISI, IF= 0.428), 2001.
• Book Chapters
- S. Yazdani, I. Ivanov, M. AnaLoui, R. Berangi and T. Ebrahimi, "Spam Fighting in Social Tagging Systems," Social Informatics, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, pp 448-461, 2012.
- M. Rabiei, R. Berangi and M. Fathi, "Delay Performance of Voice Call Continuity (VCC) for Circuit-Switched to Packet-Switched Domain Transfer," Communications in Computer and Information Science. Volume 1, No 4, pp 380-387, 2011.
- A. Mahini, R. Berangi, H. Mohtashami and H. Mahini ,“Low power and Storage Efficient Parallel Lookup Engine Architecture For IP Packets,” Advances in Computer Science and Engineering, Communications in Computer and Information Science, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, p. 718, 2009,.
- S. Montazeri, R. Berangi, M Fathy, "A new distributed scheduling algorithm to guarantee Qos Parameters for 802.11e WLAN," Springer-Verlag, Lecture notes on computer science 3961, Information networking, 2007.
- R.Malekian, R. Berangi, N.Mozayani, "Cross layer design for providing Routing and Qosin Mobile IPv6 Networks-ROMA,", Selected Papers on Broadband Communication, Information Technology & Biomedical Applications, Publisher: Wroclaw University of Technology, Editors: T. Janiczek, R. Klempous, J. Nikodem, J. Agbinya, R. Braun and Z. Chaczko, ; ISBN: 978-83-7493-470-1., pp. 263-268,2010.
• Selected Conference papers
- S. Sheedeh, M. Baghani and R. Berangi "The LTE macrocells with the architecture of Fractional Frequency Reuse and Cognitive Radio OFDMA based Femtocells," In Proceedings of the ACM 7th International Conference on Computing Communication and Networking Technologies, 2016 Jul 6 (p. 1).
- SM. Mirhoseninejad, R. Berangi and M. Fathy, "Improving saturation capacity through verification of common control channel mechanism in cognitive radio ad-hoc networks," In IEEE 4th International Conference on Computer and Knowledge Engineering (ICCKE), 2014 Oct 29 (pp. 515-518).
- S. Akbari, A. Shaﬁeey, M. Fathy, and R. Berangi, "AFRA: A Low Cost High Performance Reliable Routing for 3D Mesh NoCs, "Conference & Exhibition for Design, Automation & Test in Europe , pp. 332-337, March 2012.
- F. Farmani, M. A. Jannat-Abad and R. Berangi, "Detection of SSDF Attack Using SVDD Algorithm in Cognitive Radio Networks", Third International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN), Bali, pp 201-204, 2011.
- R. Berangi, S. Saleem, M. Faulkner and Waqas Ahmed, "TDD cognitive radio femtocell network (CRFN) operation in FDD downlink spectrum,", IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp 482-486, Sept. 2011.
- M. Morvarid, R. Berangi, M. Fathy, "Dual Path Odd-Even Routing Algorithm for Network on Chips," Third International Conference on Computer Modeling and Simulation (ICCMS 2011), pp. 57-61, 2011.
- S. Akbari, M. Isvandi, A. Shaﬁeey, M. Fathi, and R. Berangi, "DFRA: Diagonal Fault-tolerant Routing Algorithm for 3D Multi-Layer Networks-on-Chip," CICIS’11, IASBS, Zanjan, Iran, May 31-June 2, 2011.
- M. Seyrafi, A. Asad, A.E. Zonouz, R. Berangi, M. Fathy, M. Soryani, "A New Low Cost Fault Tolerant Solution for Mesh based NoCs," International Conference On Electronics and Information Engineering (ICEIE’10), 2010.
- M. Kazemi and R. Berangi, "A multi-path routing protocol with fault tolerance in mobile ad hoc networks", Computer 14th International Conference, 2009. CSICC 2009,Tehran, 20-21 Oct. 2009, pp 77 - 82.
- M. Morvarid, M. Fathy, R. Berangi and A. Khademzadeh, IIIModes,“New efficient dynamic routing algorithm for network on chip”, IEEE Fourth international multi-conference on computing in the global information technology, 2009
- O. Abedi, R. Berangi and M. AbdollahiAzgomi, "Improving Route Stability and Overhead on AODV," icdcsw, 29th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, pp.464-467, 2009.
- D. Aghajarian, R.Berangi, "A Fast Distributed Target Tracking Algorithm for Low Density Binary Sensor Networks," Second International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, sensorcomm, pp.1-6, 2008.
- D. Aghajarian, R. Berangi, "A Distributed Target Tracking Algorithm for Near/Far Binary Sensor Networks," ICWN'082008.
- D. Aghajarian, R.Berangi, "A cooperative single target tracking algorithm using binary sensor networks," International Symposium on Telecommunications, IST 2008. pp 751-757, Tehran, Aug. 2008.
- J. Taghiloo, R.Berangi, M. Taghiloo, M. Gholami, "An anti-storm approach for IP address auto-configuration in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks," IEEE the 5th International conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, MASS 2008. 5th, athlanta, USA, sept. 2008, pp. 583-588, 2008.
- N. Ahmadi and R.Berangi, “Modulation classification of QAM and PSK from their constellation using Genetic Algorithm and hierarchical clustering”, 3d IEEE International Conference on Information & Communication Technologies: from Theory to Applications, ICTTA'08, Umayyad Palace, Damascus, Syria, 2008.
- N. Ahmadi and R.Berangi, "A Basic Sequential Algorithmic Scheme Approach for Classification of Modulation based on Neural Network", in the proceeding of the international conference on Computer and Communication Engineering, ICCCE 2008, Kuala Lumpur , May 2008, pp 565-569, 2008.
- A.Mahini, R.Berangi, SFKhatami Firouzabadi, H Mahini, “Low Power TCAM Forwarding Engine for IP Packets,” Military Communications Conference. MILCOM 2007, Oct. 2007, pp 1-7, 2007.
- A. Mahini, R. Berangi, H. Mohtashami, M Salah Esfahani and HMahini, “Storage Efficient and Power Optimized TCAM Based Architecture for Forwarding IP Packets,” International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS 2007), San Diego, California (USA), July 16-18, 2007.
- M MHassani, R.Berangi, "Improving the COWLS algorithm for hardware software co-synthesis of wireless client-server systems using preference vectors and peak power information,” in the proceeding of the international conference on computer systems and technologies (CompSysTech 2007) Bulgaria, June 2007.
- M MHassani, R.Berangi, “An analytical model for evaluating utilization of TCP Reno,” in the proceeding of the international conference on computer systems and technologies (CompSysTech 2007) Bulgaria, June 2007 pp. IIIB.14-1- IIIB.14-7, 2007.
- M. R. Kangavari, M. R. HassaniAhangar and R. Berangi, "Investigation of the error sources on the balance and the standard dynamic model in the wind tunnel," 25th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Science (ICAS 2006), September 2006.
- S.Montazeri, R.Berangi, Mahmood Fathy, “A New Distributed Scheduling Algorithm to Guarantee QoS Parameters for 802.11e WLAN,” in the proceeding of the international conference on information networking ( ICOIN 2006), Sendi, Japan, Jan. 2007, pp. 132-145, 2007.
- F.Mohamadian, R.Berangi, M.Fathy, “A New Methodology for Hardware Design Based on UML for SystemC,” in the proceeding of the International Conference on Computer Design ( CDES 2007 ) , pp. 84-89, Nevada, USA, June 2007.
- T. Nguyen, P. Dassanayake, M. Faulkner, and R. Berangi, "Influence of Hot Spots on Capacity of Cellular CDMA Systems with Adaptive Sectorisation," To be presented in International Symposium on Telecommunications, Tehran, Iran, Sept. 2001,.
- R. Berangi and M. Faulkner, "Peak power reduction for multi-code CDMA and critically sampled complex Gaussian signals," To be presented in International Symposium on Telecommunications, Tehran, Iran, Sept. 2001.
- T. Nguyen, R. Berangi and M. Faulkner, "Null Depth Control for Downlink Adaptive Array," , Proc. of International Symposium on Signal Processing and its applications(ISSPA'99), Brisbane, Australia, pp. 523-526, Aug. 1999.
- Fu-Chun Zheng, R. Berangi and M. Faulkner, "Some Optimization Issues in Smart Antenna Design," Proc. of International Conference on optimization Techniques and Applications (ICOTA '98), Perth, Australia, vol. 2, pp. 1063-1070, July 1998.
- R. Berangi and P. Leung, "Indirect Co-channel Interference Cancelling: Concept and Simulation Results," Multi-access, Mobility and Teletraffic advances in wireless networks, pp 49-62, Boston: Keluwer Academic Publisher, 1998.
- R. Berangi, M. Faulkner, and F.-C. Zheng, “Performances of adaptive blind combining algorithms for fading channels,” Proc of 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC), Sydney, Australia, pp. 252-256, 7-10 Dec 1997.
- R. Berangi, P. Leung and M. Faulkner, "Signal space representation of indirect cochannel interference canceller," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Phoenix, USA, pp. 145-149, May 1997.
- F.-C. Zheng, R. Berangi, O. Hu, and M. Faulkner, “Smart basestation technology: uplink study,” Proc. 2nd Vodafone and Ericsson R&D Conference, Pokolbin, Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia, Paper 5, 1997.
- R. Berangi, P. Leung and P. Dassanayake "Reduces State Bit by Bit Indirect Interference Canceller," Proc. of IEEE Singapore International Conference on Communication Systems, Singapore, Nov. 1996.
• Awards and fellowships
- Ranked first, undergraduate student of 1985, Electrical Engineering department of Iran University of Science and Technology.
- Best student paper award, IEEE Universal Personal Communication Systems conference, Cambridge, MA (1996).
- Receiving Ministerial overseas scholarship for first rank students towards PhD (1985) (it was later cancelled because of funding shortage due to Iran-Iraq war)
- Ranked first,the entrance exam of the electronic engineering master’s program of Iran University of Science and Technology
- Received Ministerial overseas scholarship towards PhD. (1992) after a national selection exam
- As the IUST small size football robotics team manager (2006-2013), I received many awards with the team including:
- International Rankings
1stplace, Extended TDP, RoboCup 2011, Turkey
2nd place, Main competitions, RoboCup 2011, Turkey
2nd place, Technical challenges, RoboCup 2011, Turkey
3rd place, Technical challenges, RoboCup 2010, Singapore
- National Ranking
1st place, Main Competitions, IrancellCup 2011, Iran
1st place, Main Competitions, AUTCup 2010, Iran
1st place, Main Competitions, Khwarizmi 2010, Iran
1st place, Gardener Robots, SharifCup 2012, Iran
• Funding completed
“Design and prototyping of an auto pilot control system” (2013) (ISIRAN Holding Research Centre, approximately$250,000).
The Iranian Telecommunication Research Centre (ITRC). “Finding Mobility Management solutions for the next generation networks (NGN)” (2008-2010, approximately$170,000).
The Iranian High Council of Information Technology. “Study, Consultation, and Management of the Iranian National Portal, a research grant from” (2008, approximately$550,000).
Development of a blind modulation recognition system and blind software defined radio, since in Advanced processing Institute. (2003-2014, approximately$1Million)
Iranian Telecommunication Research Centre (renamed as The Research Centre of The Iranian High Council of Cyber Space in 2011). Over 40 small grants (Master’s research support scheme, $3,000 each) to support master’s students research program.
|View: 19550 Time(s) | Print: 2675 Time(s) | Email: 429 Time(s) | 0 Comment(s)