| Dr. seyed Vahid Azhari
Date of birth: 1978
Education & Qualifications /Teaching Experiences /Selected Publications /Research Projects
PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering
McMaster University, Canada, 2007
M.Sc. in Computer Engineering
Tehran University, Iran, 2003
B.Sc. in Computer Engineering
Iran University of Science & Technology, Iran, 2000
- Assistant Professor, School of Computer Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology, Since February 2008
• Teaching Experiences (top)
- Advanced Computer Networks (graduate course at IUST) Winter 2009 - Now
- Computer Networks (undegraduate) Fall 2008, Winter 2017
- Basics of Wireless Networking (Undergraduate) Fall 2014-Now
- Wireless Communications / Wireless Networking (Graduate) Winter 2011-Winter 2014
- Advanced Topics in Computer Engineering: Wireless Computer Networks (graduate course at IUST) winter 1386 /2008 , fall 1387/2008, winter 1388/2010
- VLSI Design (undergraduate course at IUST) winter 1386/2008, fall 1387/2008, winter 1387/2009, fall 1389/2010
- Computer Networks (graduate course at IUST’s Electronic Education Centre) fall 1387/2008 - Now
• Selected Publications (top)
Journals and Patent:
- Todd, Terence D., and Seyed Vahid Azhari. "WLAN-to-WWAN handover methods and apparatus using a WLAN support node having a WWAN interface." U.S. Patent 8,095,175, issued January 10, 2012.
- Barghi, Hadi, and Azhari, Seyed Vahid, A practical sleep coordination and management scheme with duty cycle control for energy sustainable IEEE 802.11s wireless mesh networks, Wireless Networks (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-018-1683-6
- Azhari, S.V., Baghdadi, M., Enayatizadeh, J., “Local and Distributed SIP Overload Control Solution Improving Sustainability of SIP Networks”, Wiley International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 30 No.6 (2017).
- Mojtaba Jahanbakhsh, Seyed Vahid Azhari, Hani Nemati, Lyapunov Stability of SIP Systems and Its Application to Overload Control, Computer Communications, Available online 30 January 2017, ISSN 0140-3664
- MalekpourShahraki, Mojtaba, Hadi Barghi, Seyed Vahid Azhari, and Saeed Asaiyan. "Distributed and Energy Efficient Scheduling for IEEE802. 11s Wireless EDCA Networks." Wireless Personal Communications 90, no. 1 (2016): 301-323.
- Memis, Mehmet Ozerk, Ozgur Ercetin, Ozgur Gurbuz, and Seyed Vahid Azhari. "Resource allocation for statistical QoS guarantees in MIMO cellular networks." EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2015, no. 1 (2015): 217.
- Nassiri, Mohammad, Mohammad Boujari, and Seyed Vahid Azhari. "Energy-aware and load-
- balanced parent selection in RPL routing for wireless sensor networks." International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing 9, no. 3 (2015): 231-239.
- Azhari, Seyed Vahid, Niloofar Afshari, and Mohammad Nassiri. "Novel Lifetime Routing Metric for IEEE 802.11 Wireless Mesh Networks.", International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, Accepted
- Asyabi, Esmail, Azadeh Azhdari, Mostafa Dehsangi, Michel Gokan Khan, Mohsen Sharifi, and Sayed Vahid Azhari. "Kani: a QoS-aware hypervisor-level scheduler for cloud computing environments." Cluster Computing 19, no. 2 (2016): 567-583.
- Shams, S., Jahed-Motlagh, M., Azhari, S.V., “Robust decentralized adaptive non-quadratic congestion control algorithm for a class of delayed networks”, Springer Nonlinear Dynamics 73(4): 2291-2311 (2013)
- Azhari, S. V., Homayouni, M., Nemati, H., Enayatizadeh, J., Akbari, A., “Overload control in SIP networks using no explicit feedback: A window based approach”, Elsevier Computer Communications Journal 35(12): 1472-1483 (2012)
- Smadi M, Azhari V., Todd T.D., Kezys V.,”A Study of WLAN to Cellular Handover Using Measured Building Exit Data”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, May 2009
- Azhari S.V., Smadi M, Todd T.D., “Fast WLAN/Cellular connection recovery for soft WLAN-to-Cellular vertical handoff", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, March 2008
• Research Projects (top)
- Azhari, Seyed Vahid, Ozgur Gurbuz, and Ozgur Ercetin. "QoS based aggregation in high speed IEEE802. 11 wireless networks." In Ad Hoc Networking Workshop (Med-Hoc-Net), 2016 Mediterranean, pp. 1-7. IEEE, 2016.
- Dehsangi, Mostafa, Esmail Asyabi, Mohsen Sharifi, and Seyed Vahid Azhari. "cCluster: a core clustering mechanism for workload-aware virtual machine scheduling." In Future Internet of Things and Cloud (FiCloud), 2015 3rd International Conference on, pp. 248-255. IEEE, 2015.
- Nemati, H., Azhari, S. V., “Stability Analysis of Tandem SIP Proxies “, IEEE ICC 2012, Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Homayouni, M., Nemati, H., Azhari, S. V., Akbari, A., “Controlling Overload in SIP Proxies: An Implicit Feedback Adaptive Window Based Approach”, IEEE GLOBECOM 2010 December 2010 Miami, Florida, USA.
- Nemati, H., Azhari, S. V., Smadi, M. N., Todd, T. D., “Trigger Node Assisted WLAN to Cellular Vertical Handover”, IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Fall 2010, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Homayouni, M., Jahanbakhsh, M., Azhari, V., Akbari, A., “Overload control in SIP servers: Evaluation and improvement”, 2010 IEEE 17th International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT), 4-7 April 2010, Doha, Qatar
- Homayouni, M., Azhari, S.V., Jahanbakhsh, M., Akbari, A., Mansoori, A., Amani, N., “Configuration of a SIP Signaling Network: An Experimental Analysis”, Fifth International Joint Conference on NCM, Aug. 2009, South Korea.
- Azhari S.V., Smadi M, Todd T.D., “The Capacity Deficit Problem in WLAN to Cellular Vertical Handoffs”, IWCMC, 2007
- Smadi M, Azhari S.V., Todd T.D., Kezys V., “Measurement based study of WLAN to WWAN Handoffs”, IEEE International Conference on Mobile ad hoc and Sensor Systems, 2006
- Azhari, V., Todd, T.D., “Fast connection recovery in WLAN-to-cellular vertical handoff”, IEEE International Conference on Mobile ad hoc and Sensor Systems, 2005
- QoS-Aware Resource Allocation for MIMO Based IEEE802.11ac Technologies: With the objective of providing statistical delay guarantees for video traffic over emerging IEEE802.11ac technology, we have used the concept of effective capacity and proposed an adaptive frame aggregation algorithm for scheduling of links over fading MIMO channels. Our algorithms have been evaluated using NS-3 simulations as well as tested over actual testbed. The testbed proposes a clever approach for controlling MAC level behavior of WiFi cards without modifying the driver. This project was executed while visiting Sabanci University of Istanbul, Turkey based on TUBITAK-2221 grant.
- Energy Efficient Wireless Mesh Networks:Developing energy and lifetime aware routing and traffic distribution algorithms for wireless mesh networks. Our focus was to develop practical solutions for current IEEE802.11 based networks using distributed sleep coordination and duty cycle control.
- Load Control in SIP Networks:The objective is to provide carrier grade service in face of signaling load spikes, load abnormalities and DoS attacks in SIP networks. We have developed a comprehensive SIP testbed and proposed many load control schemes. All of our schemes are implemented and tested on our testbed. We have also developed a control theoretic framework for studying stability of SIP signaling networks, which is also leveraged in our testbed.
- Embedded Linux Systems Development:Supervising a team working on embedded Linux systems. Specifically, we have made a multi-radio IEEE 802.11 access point using open source software and off the shelf hardware as part of our WMN testbed.
- Mobility Management in Next Generation Networks:As a joint project with Iran Telecommunications Research Center, we developed a testbed for bench-marking various types of mobility in the IP Multimedia Subsystem. The project attracted 120000 USD to the department.